Thursday, May 14, 2015

Discover Dawn's Quilt Shop

On a recent trip to Alexandria, MN, I had a chance to explore what the downtown shopping area had to offer. When I came across Dawn’s Quilt Shop, I knew it was a store for me. Not only does the store offer fabrics ranging from traditional to fun and quirky, but long arm quilting services as well!



At Dawn’s Quilt Shop, you'll also find plenty of quilt kits and unique sewing ideas. I saw many offerings that I hadn't come across before! Dawn herself is a delight to meet as well. She is helpful, and it’s easy to tell that she is passionate about sewing and fiber arts.





Many of the displays in the store use antique furniture pieces for displaying fabrics. This gives the store lots of personality to match the uncommon delights it offers to shoppers. You'll also find a custom frame shop located at the rear corner of the store with some one-of-a-kind pieces.



Dawn was kind enough to share her story with me, so enjoy a little Q&A with the owner of Dawn’s Quilt Shop:

Who taught you to sew?
I graduated from the University of North Dakota, Grand Forks with a degree in art with a focus on fibers. I started sewing when I was about 7, when my mother taught me to sew my own clothes, which I continued to do throughout my life even making a little extra money in college sewing for other people.


Why did you decide to open your own quilt shop?
I have always loved fabric, the type of fabric I “stashed” changed from clothing-type fabric to quilt-type fabric about 10-12 years ago. I had the opportunity to work in a sewing machine store that phased into a quilt shop/sewing machine store. I had never pieced a quilt top or quilted until then, but I was bitten hard by the bug! When the store I worked for closed, I had in the back of my mind that I could run a store and make it work.
I eventually took the leap and opened Dawn’s Quilt Shop in 2007 in Downtown Alexandria. I started small with very few quilt samples and about 100 bolts of fabric. I have grown over the last 8 years to having about 3000 bolts of fabric with one move across the street from the store’s original location.



What makes your quilt shop unique?
I have a fondness for novelty fabric, especially cat fabric. (I may have the most cat fabric in MN!). I love being able to play and put together fabrics and colors to put into quilts and other sewn accessories.



What is your most favorite piece you've sewn?
One of my favorite quilts that I have put together is not technically sewn together, but the fabric used in it is my favorite piece. The fabric shows cats swimming with water goggles and swim fins and a shark fin attached to their backs.



What can people expect to find at your store?
I hope when people come to shop in my store, they find fabrics and samples they have not seen before. I tend to walk outside of the box when choosing fabric and putting things together. I am definitely not a traditionalist.  I may use a traditional block, but put a twist on it.



Where did you find your great antique display pieces?
I sort of use that same tradition with a twist when decorating and displaying. I love antiques which have been passed to me from my parents. I like the love of using the old with the new, so using an antique baby crib to house new flannel baby fabric, or using an antique Hoosier Cabinet to display food fabric makes sense to me.


Thank you, Dawn, for taking the time to share your story!



Catch the latest Taea Made happenings on Facebook!

Drop me a line at: taeamade@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're awesome for stopping by The Taea Made Blog page! I'd love to know your thoughts :.)